If you want to become a content marketing writer as a freelancer, it’s a great way to work from home for those who want to help companies to create digital marketing content that is effective. Content marketing writing comes in different forms including white papers, email newsletters, product descriptions, writing essays for professional sites such as AdvancedWriters.com, blog posts, or website pages. The need for high-quality content marketing writers is on the increase, so this is a great reason to start a career as a content marketing writer. If you continue reading, you will learn how to become an expert at content marketing writing.
Becoming A Content Marketing Writer
The most important thing required to become a content marketing writer is to be able to write. You will need to be able to take a blank page with very little information on it and turn this into exciting and engaging content. You will have to do this by researching the topic idea, organize your thoughts to create an outline, write the copy and finally review it to ensure that it is mistake-free. Quite often, content marketing writers are paid a flat rate as opposed to an hourly rate, which means that if you waste your time. You will earn less money at the end of the day. Your aim is to complete as many projects as possible without affecting the quality of the work you produce.
Although you can go to classes or college to become a content writer, it is not a necessity. Most clients are looking for somebody who can hit deadlines, make amendments when necessary, and ultimately create good quality content. However, experience and education in the field of writing will highlight that you are professional and more than able.
What You Will Need To Become An Expert At Content Marketing Writing:
- A desktop/ laptop with a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft Word as Google Docs is not always suitable
- A Skype account so you can speak to your clients
- A planner so you can keep on top of deadlines and invoices.
Skills Required From A Content Marketing Writer
- To become an expert content marketing writer you need to be able to mix up your writing style.
- You will also need to take constructive criticism sent from your manager, as well as undertake amendments that may be required in your writing.
- You will need to be able to be effective at time management, as quite often, you will have to juggle more than one assignment.
- You will need to be able to work as part of a team.
- Have specialist subjects such as fashion, sport or travel.
- You will need to be able to quickly learn about new topics so that you are happy to write about them.
- Have a good understanding of the digital world as the content you will be creating will be used online.
- Knowledge of SEO ( search engine optimization) which is used to help readers to find your content.
- Learn the basics of coding languages such as HTML and CSS.
Getting Content Marketing Writer Jobs
There are different ways of getting content marketing writer jobs and the best possible option is to directly reach out to companies or alternatively look for freelance opportunities that are advertised on job websites. Another option is to contact marketing agencies, magazines, and other content writing companies. Quite often, editors at these companies don’t have time to put out adverts for new writers, which means there won’t be many applicants that you are competing against. The good news is you don’t need to have many clients to become a full-time content marketing writer as a handful of regular clients should be enough.
Content Marketing Writer Niches
Some writing niches such as travel, medicine, or technology will require lots of experience in order to fully understand the market and provide the expertise required on the subjects. It is best to brainstorm a list of writing niches related to your own experiences. For example, if you are a parent who doesn’t like using non environmentally friendly products, you could consider writing about parenting and products that are good for the environment.
The majority of writers are able to write content related to the below niches:
- How To’s
- Product reviews
Free Content Writing Training
- Udemy: This site offers both free and paid training related to SEO, marketing, and writing.
- HubSpot’s content marketing certification course: This site offers 21 certification courses which are all free and take a few hours to complete. The content marketing certification course is the most popular option for content marketing writers. After you have completed each course, you will be required to take a test in order to become certified.
- Skillshare: Although the premium option costs money, it is possible to use the 14-day trial to watch classes that come under the premium section. There are classes related to business writing, marketing writing, and blogging that are free.
How Time Is Spent Where Content Writing
- 50% = writing
- 20% = strategy
- 15% = research
- 10% = reading
- 5% = pitching
The Best Part About Being A Content Marketing Writer
Quite often, content marketing writers are able to work flexibly from home. This is one of the reasons why it’s a great job option for those who are stay-at-home parents, like to travel or are students.
If you enjoy reading and think inquisitively then a job as a content writer is likely to be something you enjoy.
The Challenges Of Being A Content Marketing Writer
In order to be effective as a content marketing writer, you need to be able to write at a good speed and have good research skills. It is not unusual to have tight deadlines which means you need to write at short notice. This is one skill that can take time to develop, so it’s something that you need to practice improving.
As many content marketing writers work from home, it’s quite easy to get distracted by things such as housework or watching television, so it’s important that you plan your work effectively and that you are good at self-organization. Surely you can find more content writing tips on the internet, but we hope that our article helped you.